FROM MASSIVE DEBT TO MASSIVE GROWTH
Empowering distressed, debt trapped farmers in Maharashtra.
Grand Maratha Foundation provides guidance and support to distressed debt trapped farmers in farm suicide prone Maharashtra in undertaking sustainable agriculture and agro based industrial / commercial activities and especially helps small and marginal farmers, widows of the farmers, the poor and the downtrodden social strata in Maharashtra. Grand Maratha Foundation has been working effectively with farmers in the areas where farmer suicides have been at their highest since the last few years.
In Maharashtra, there are more than 5500 villages, where agriculture is running traditionally under less availability of water with low productivity per unit of land. This much production is not sufficient to farmer’s family and hence they are trying to shift to the urban areas. Only 30% of people are actual farmers who engage in producing food for 100% population.
Out of those 30% farmers, more than 80% farmers are living in such areas where there is –
- No sufficient drinking and irrigation water. In summer season, water tankers are providing drinking water.
- Low literacy percentage because of poverty of family and unavailability of schools/colleges/ technical institutes.
- Unavailability of agricultural education/training to farmers about new techniques.
- Poor transportation and bad condition of roads in such villages.
- High load shedding of electricity.
- Absence of primary health care facility.
- Problem of child labor.
Grand Maratha Foundation has been working effectively with farmers in areas where there is no sufficient drinking and irrigation water (such as hilly and barren land area) ,poor socio-economical facilities; for making arrangement of water, to empower farmers, emphasize on adult education, start health care centers and welfare of women and children.